Monday, August 13, 2012

The next big step: 3,439 miles

     I'm taking my next step to becoming a Tuskegee Golden Tiger. This step is about 3'500 miles long and spans the entire continental U.S! For an Alaskan with a substantial amount of family in the lower 48, flying is a part of life. I can not imagine how many hours I have been in the air. For many, flying is a spectacle or a nuisance, but to me it is routine. But, this trip is an exception.

     I am leaving my family friends to embark on a educational/social  journey that will most likely mold me for the rest of my life. I might sound dramatic, but it is a big deal. I've heard of so many "horror" stories from college. It is safe to say I'm scared straight. I know I can have fun, without getting wasted. I know I can meet girls,without ending up being someone's "Baby's Daddy". Having a strong family background helps, as well as having faith in God. This gives me a personal integrity that can not be budged.  

     As look out at anchorage I think about the majesty of the mountains, the endless forests, and diverse wildlife. I know I will miss this great land and I'm already excited about coming back for Christmas.


Looking out at Ted Stevens International Airport in Anchorage, Alaska 

Alaska Airline decal in Seattle
     
    Luckily, I'm not taking this trip alone. My Mother, and my Aunt Tanya are accompanying me. My Aunt June will meet me in Atlanta, where she lives. I love my family so much. There is no way that I could be where I am, without them. My aunt coined the name of our trip as
"Operation: Tuskegee Drop off".
My Family left to right
Cousin Chuck, my mother Dionne, me, my Aunt June, my cousin Brian, and my aunt Tanya

     If I had to recount half the misadventures we had on this trip, I would need a another blog. But  I will talk about our adventure to Zoo Atlanta. I'm going to major in Biology and, If you've read my other blog posts, you know I love animals. So going to the zoo is the most logical activity for this college bound freshman. I had so much fun at the zoo I felt like a big kid in a candy store. I think I might have had more fun than all my three chaperons combined. The animals were incredible and they made me even more excited for my major.


Zoo Atlanta was ferociously fantastic!



     Tuskegee was a two hour drive from Atlanta. As we crossed over the state lines into Alabama, I felt so close to my future, I could taste it. The amazing state of Alabama will be where I take my innumerable steps to become the best I can be.


Alabama: We Dare to Defend Our Rights

     After getting lost a couple of times, we finally made it to the campus! I haven't been to the infamous Tuskegee University for years and it felt like a huge wait was lifted of my shoulders. I finally made it.  3,439 miles and 4 days later, I made it to my home away from home, Tuskegee University!

My family and I, in front of the famous Tuskegee statue "Lifting the Veil".
It depicts Tuskegee's founder, Booker T. Washington, lifting the veil of ignorance off of a slave. It is the iconic symbol of Tuskegee. 


WE MADE IT! THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR SUPPORT!

1 comment: