Sunday, August 19, 2012

The first week of many...

     This is my first post since, I have arrived at the illustrious Tuskegee University. Just to let everybody know, I'm loving it already! I feel like I was meant to be here. When I walk I around the campus, I'm walking in the footsteps past innovators, leaders and visionaries. I just hope I can live up to this legacy
   
     On the first day of Orientation, I felt nervous. This is a typical response to one's first day. My Aunts and mother were still there to accompany me and everyone seemed friendly so my butterflies eventually went away. As I walked into registration, I saw a very welcoming poster that made the instance a little more real. I proceeded to sign all the necessary paper work and then we headed to the first general session, for parents and students, held in the school chapel.

                Enter Into the Tigers Den      Signing in for Success
                 
     
     The session was packed. We got there early so we got good seats. The chapel was daunting, to say the least. It's huge stage and walls made of rustic hand made brick made quite the impression on me. The speaker at the session gave us the stereotypical "Welcome, we are glad to have you" speech, but what stuck out to me was the way she emphasized the history of this iconic school. She told us that we are now becoming part of history. This was a lot to take in. I never really thought that I could go down in history, but now that I think about it, we all can.
                                
The First General Session

     The next thing we did was get my dorm room. We drove around the campus a couple times trying to find "Younge Hall", but eventually we had to ask for directions. I looked upon my future home, for the next 9 months, I realized that this wasn't the first time I seen this building and not the first time stayed I had stayed here!. As a rising 9th grader, I participated in the Tuskegee Vet-Step program. It was a preparatory program for future veterinarian. During that time, I stayed in Younge Hall and now I have come full circle. I met my dorm mother, Momma Night, and she directed us to my room, #217. One of the craziest things that happened so far this week, was looking at my dorm room door and seeing the name "Will" etched into it. I knew that I didn't deface a door on my last stay, so I was a bit freaked out. But I took it as a sign that it was meant to be. I brought all my luggage in and moved into my new home.

"Will" Etched Into my Door

The Hall

                                                      My Room Before
My Room After



     Orientation lasted all week, and we did so many things I won't be able to recount them all. The catchy chants and interactive games will always stay with me. We had tours of campus, got acquainted with our colleges and academic advisers and even had games of kick ball! 

     Coming from Steller Secondary School, possibly the least ethnic school in Anchorage, Alaska (other than south), and going to a Tuskegee University, a prestigious southern HBCU (Historically Black College or University). I have the definition of culture shock. But as the Professional Boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. said "A true champion can adapt to anything." 

My College I.D

     George Washington Carver's Grave, and standing next to a bust of Carver, at GWC Museum                       



 Biology Department!!
 

 Lightning Lighting up the Tuskegee Sky!


Shaking hands with the Student Government Association President, Antonio Minifield. He's got me thinking about running for freshman class president!







     

2 comments:

  1. Where there is a "Will... there is a way." You know... your Uncle Melvin was SGA President at Langston. You should give him a call if you have SGA questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great read. Keep up the good work. I can't wait for your next post.

    ReplyDelete